On his first full day in office, President Biden signed a massive executive order that, among other things, reversed a previous directive by the Trump administration and allowed the Chinese government to get into the American electrical grid.
Why it matters:
- According to Executive Order 13920 of May 1, 2020, “foreign adversaries are increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in the United States bulk-power system, which provides the electricity that supports our national defense, vital emergency services, critical infrastructure, economy, and way of life.”
- Suspending the EO launches a window of opportunity for Chinese businesses to sell equipment into the US market for bulk-power systems, thus potentially controlling the crucial infrastructure that stores and delivers electrical power to the entire country.
- Transformers and generators imported from China could enable the CCP to shut down the entire national electric grid.
- Gatestone Institute: Chasing the Dragon
- Heritage: Could China Hack Our Electric Grid? Joe Biden Just Made It Easier.