Biden’s DOJ has dropped charges against five Chinese “researchers” accused of visa fraud and of hiding their ties to the Chinese military.
Why it matters:
- The arrests were part of a Trump-era initiative aimed at curbing Beijing’s efforts to steal intellectual property, corporate secrets, and military intelligence. The spies, many secretly members of China’s military services, for many years have been posing as graduate students and research scholars at top academic institutions, stealing America’s most cutting-edge national defense material.
- By abandoning this Trump-era initiative, President Biden has exposed America’s vulnerabilities to the PLA intelligence services and green-lighted Beijing’s efforts to steal intellectual property, corporate secrets, military intelligence and other information it could use to expand its global influence.
- Center for Immigration Studies: Joe Biden Just Condemned America to More Chinese Espionage — and Worse
- The New York Times: S. Moves to Drop Cases Against Chinese Researchers Accused of Hiding Military Ties
- Yahoo News: DOJ drops cases against 5 Chinese researchers accused of being tied to Chinese military